Tidelands HealthPoint Center for Health and Fitness, the region’s only medical fitness center, is celebrating 20 years of helping people live more active and healthy lives.
The Pawleys Island medical fitness center caters to its members, whether they prefer sweating to one of the 75 classes a month or have a doctor-referred need for a custom plan developed just for them through the Stronger Through Movement program. The staff of specially trained exercise physiologists make sure the 2,200-plus members have what they need and want, which has helped Tidelands HealthPoint stay successful for two decades. The center opened in November 1998.
“We really cater to the members,” operations manager Kim Vanlandingham said. “Our team members have a passion for fitness and healthy lifestyles, and they enjoy sharing their expertise with our members to help them live better lives through better health.”
As the region’s only medical fitness center, Tidelands HealthPoint offers programs developed by health care professionals to help people of all ages and physical abilities safely and successfully become more active. The center focuses on helping people manage their overall health instead of just their weight or physique.
While it’s a medical fitness center, you don’t have to be referred by a doctor or work at Tidelands Health to become a member of Tidelands HealthPoint.
In celebration of 20 successful years, here are 20 fast facts and interesting tidbits you may not know about Tidelands HealthPoint:
- Between sweating and swimming, members go through towels – at least 1,000 a day. (Members enjoy free towel service at Tidelands HealthPoint.)
- Keep your eye out for special appearances by high-profile fitness gurus and athletes. Big names in fitness have popped in and led special classes, including Tae Bo creator Billy Blanks and Loretta Bates, a Zumba education specialist. And Jonathan Maybank, a 2004 Georgetown High School grad and former pro basketball player in Australia, led a basketball camp.
- The busiest day? Monday.
- The busiest times on an average day? 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Number of members: 2,200 and growing.
- Members range in age from 2 months to 96 years old.
- Never use age as an excuse not to be active – Tidelands HealthPoint has four members who are older than 90.
- In addition to getting a good workout, you can pamper yourself, too. Tidelands HealthPoint features a full-service day spa offering facials, body scrubs, waxes, massages and other treatments and a nail salon. You do not have to be a Tidelands HealthPoint member to use the day spa.