From the time we were children underfoot in the kitchen, many of us were handed batter bowls and mixer beaters to lick clean as a special treat when someone was baking.
But just one sweet taste of some uncooked foods can be dangerous, even deadly.
Many Americans still don’t heed the warning, so at the height of holiday cookie season, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is again advising that eating raw cookie dough, bread dough and cake batters can come with some unsavory consequences.
Among them are Escherichia coli (E. coli) infections from raw flour and salmonella poisoning from raw eggs. Cooking typically kills these bacteria, but eating batters or doughs before they’ve hit the oven can lead to sickness, hospitalization and in some cases, death.
“It can be hard to resist the temptation,” says Jamie Kandora, clinical nutrition manager for Tidelands Health. “It smells good and it tastes good, but it’s not worth the risk of becoming sick and ruining your holidays.”