A clean colon provides the doctor the best view of your colon. A day or two before the procedure, it’s important to avoid certain foods such as nuts and seeds and transition to a liquid diet that can include:
- Gatorade, popsicles and Jell-O (avoiding red, purple or orange varieties)
- Clear broth
- Apple or white grape juice
- Ginger or lemon-lime soda
- Black coffee or tea
- No alcoholic beverages
To make colonoscopy prep easier, do the following:
- Follow your provider’s instructions closely.
- Chill the prep liquid and drink it through a straw to minimize its taste.
- Consume clear liquids between drinking the prep liquid.
- Avoid eating.
Completing the prep properly makes it easier for the doctor to spot abnormalities. If the colon isn’t clean, you may need to reschedule the procedure and go through the prep all over again.
“It’s important to follow the prep instructions,” Hash says. “Once you’ve completed the prep, you’ve done the hardest part. The procedure itself is over and done with in less than 20 minutes.”
Hash says it’s critically important not to delay or skip your colonoscopy because of the prep that’s involved.
“If you are due for a colonoscopy, please don’t put it off,” Hash says. “It’s a very important procedure because it can save your life.”