“The tumor boards leverage the expertise of a team people from a broad range of disciplines to review a patient’s case and help ensure the individual is getting the best possible care,” Dr. Adams says. “In addition, our clinical trial coordinator will listen in to see if clinical trials will benefit the patient.”
Other clinicians who have a less visible but extremely important role in a patient’s care at Tidelands Health include:
• Palliative care providers, who help manage pain,
• Nutritionists, who recommend a diet to support cancer treatment,
• Rehabilitation therapists, who work with patients to improve physical endurance,
• Radiation physicists and dosimetrists, who manage radiation treatment, and
• Financial counselors, who help patients understand insurance benefits.
“Having these resources does a lot for the patient,” Dr. Adams says. “Along with meeting the physical needs associated with a cancer diagnosis, this type of multidisciplinary team approach to treatment allows patients to feel confident all their needs will be met and addressed.”